Sunday, May 9, 2010

9 May 2010: Vichy, France


Greetings all,
It's been a couple of weeks since my last update and this update is less about life in China, (since I haven't been here, I've been in France) and more about life in general for the Miller's in China.  When I wrote you last, my computer had a crashed hard drive.  I'm proud to write that this email is coming from the restored computer!  When I left, Rod got the computer fixed here in Shenyang, got the Time Capsule backup up to restore the entire computer to exactly what it looked like before the crash. Amazing!  Then, also while I was gone, Rod got us moved into our apartment here at the intercontinental and received our air shipment.  What a guy!  This whole move would have been almost impossible for me to do by myself...I'm glad I don't have to worry about that!  Today, in my jet-lagged fog, I'm trying to get my clothes sorted out, put up and getting the apartment furniture rearranged (if you're a woman reading this, you knew it would be just a matter of time before the furniture would have be moved!)  Rod also got my AppleTV connected up to the TV so I can now watch my US favorites (NCIS, Bones, etc) that I downloaded back in March before we left.
I arrived last night from France, after being there for 2 weeks.  I'll stay here in China for a week, then go back to France on Saturday.  My schedule will be hectic for awhile, but I"m OK.  While in France, I took a short weekend trip up to Vichy.  Vichy is a spa town known for their naturally carbonated, straight from the source waters.  There are several of these towns across France.  Each water is believed to have some medicinal benefit, so if you are on the French medical system, you can actually get a prescription to go to the spa for a period of time and the cost is reimbursed by the social medical system.  The spa in Vichy is believed to help the liver...not sure I believe this, but I drank it anyway! The water is free of charge and is in a nice pavilion.

The weekend I was there, they were having an old car rally, so there was a lot of visitors and old cars in the park.



 Horse carriages take tours around the park in Vichy
 The old car rally (not just a show...these cars were in a race on the roads, that ended up in Vichy!)
 A simple garden gate in a house beside the park in Vichy
 Pansies in the park at Vichy
 Water garden and a nice old pot in Vichy
 This is an private house garden in Vichy...very classy in this context!
 Wysteria in the park at Vichy



It was spring in France as you can see in the photos in Vichy.  The hotel where I was staying in Clermant is just down the street from a public park.  It was breath-taking this time of year.  When it wasn't raining, I walked through the park to work.  What a nice way to start the day!
The is "Jardin du Coq" in Clermont-Ferrand, France (world-wide headquarters for Michelin)
 Jardin LeCoq park in Clermont-Ferrand, France...more about this park in future updates.

You can probably tell, I love France.  Many of you know we lived there for 4 years from 1997 - 2001.  I have many fond memories of our time there.  It was good to be back.

That's about it for this week.   For those of you on FB, I'll be back on there next week when I go back to France.
Thanks for all your emails and notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment