Monday, April 26, 2010

27 April 2010; Recovering from the Computer crash and Happy Anniversary In China


Greetings all,
I'm writing you from Shenyang, China, on Rod's computer.  The big excitement of the week was Rod's adventure to get my computer fixed.  He got in touch with Apple in the US (we had a full warranty on our MacBook) and got a repair number and found out there was an authorized Apple repair store here in Shenyang...good thing because he found out that he couldn't ship it if had a battery in it...and you can't take the battery out without voiding the warranty...looks like a hole in the system to me!  Rod asked the hotel concierge to find the repair place and write it out in Chinese and off he and the driver went to take the computer for repair.  The repair place diagnosed a crashed hard drive and said it would take about a week to get it fixed...this was on Monday.  By Thursday evening, they called the hotel and said it was ready.  So, Friday morning, Rod and the driver went back to the computer place to get the computer...we have it back now...completely new hard drive...empty!  So, now, we'll work to get the backup that I think is on the Time Capsule backup restored to the computer.  I hope all this works because everything (photos, documents etc) were there!  For now, we are managing just fine with Rod's computer but there are some beautiful pics and important doc's I don't want to be without!  Some of you have told me you're keeping these updates...if I ever get the energy to try to write a book...I'll have to call you to get those lost emails and pictures from our first month in China!

I'll be fling to France tonight staying or 2 weeks.  The volcano ash problem seems to have subsided and all flights are back on going to Europe.  My niece had an extended vacation/school trip in Europe due to that volcano, so hopefully she is back home in FL now!   I'm glad I booked when I did though, because otherwise, I wouldn't have a seat.  I'll fly tonight from Shenyang to Shanghai (1.5 hr) , then overnight to Paris (12 hrs) , then onto Clermont-Ferrand (1 hr) arriving Sunday morning French time.    My next update will likely not come until I get back because I'll only have my work computer with me (which does not have my address book on it!).  It should be a beautiful Spring in France, so if I see anything spectacular I'll get a picture and include it in my next update.
The other big news of the week is that Rod will be moving us to our new apartment just downstairs here in the hotel on Monday morning.  For those of you wondering, our address is:

Crown Plaza Hotel
Rod & Sarah Miller, Room 1211
No. 208 Nanjing North Street
Heping District
Shenyang, China

Here are a couple of pictures of our new digs.  It's a 2 bedroom apartment...not exactly my decorating style, but it will do...when we get settled, we'll buy that recliner!



 Rods' Big kitchen!

Sarah in the "living/Dining" room

We also received notice that our air shipment has been shipped.  Since I'll be gone, they had to do a special deal to get Rodney to be the authorized agent to receive our goods and clear it through customs.  I hope that's not a big deal, but, here you never know!

The BIGGEST news of the week was that Rodney and I celebrated our 27 year anniversary on 23 April 2010.  He surprised me and got me a beautiful jade necklace.  It's a carved little dog.  Very special!  Thank you my dear!  We shared our anniversary with friends Tim & Julie who just arrived in the country...I'm sure we'll be seeing alot of each other!


So that's about all for now. 
Keep those cards and letters coming and thank you for all your well wishes!

Sarah & Rod











No comments:

Post a Comment