Saturday, May 15, 2010

15 May 2010: New Recliner and Sofa, Mr Sun and Rod's explores the markets


15 May 2010
reetings all from Shenyang,
Spring has finally arrived here in Shenyang!  The trees are budded out and the annuals have been planted!  It is still cool in the mornings and pleasant in the afternoon low 40's in the mornings and low 70's in the afternoon.  I've been busy at work and trying to cram a million things into the 1 week in the office, so this update is mosty about Rod's adventures and photos of his daily sights here in Shenyang. He goes to really interesting places..and he normally takes me there on the weekend, but since I've got to fly out again today, I'll have to check out these places myself when I get back!  But before we go out on the street, I wanted to show you girls our new home decor since I've redecorated and added 1 additional piece of furniture..a matching sofa for my recliner!


Our living room.  We will eventually get some artwork on the walls,  and maybe a Chinese rug on the floor, but at least now, the furniture layout is the way I want it, and I can recline in the chair...or layout on the couch...both items of comfort after a long day!

So, now to the streets!
Some of you have asked what kind of car we have.  It's a Chinese brand "Jin Bei"..I liken it to a Chinese copy of a Toyota Camery.  The man in front is our driver Mr. Sun.  He is a very nice man, and we are learning to communicate.  We each have a dictionary and a phrase book...so when we get stuck...which is often, we both go to the book and eventually, we understand each other!  My Chinese lessons are coming along...but I have to admit, it's hard to study Chinese when I'm in France...my brain just can't adjust to 2 foreign languages at the same time it seems...or maybe I'm just not focusing enough...at any rate, I'm making progress, but it's a slow go!



Sarah, going to work with Driver Sun in the Jin Bei car in front to the IC hotel in Shenyang.

Every day, there are many vendors on the streets selling food...all kinds of food!
Fresh fruits and vegetables and prepared on-the-spot.  Here some examples.


Have truck, have market!  Note this is a 3 wheeled truck...there are a lot of these here!  Lots of watermelons here and other small melons.  He is parked beside a construction site (of which there are many here too!)  Notice, how many cranes there are in the background..this place is growing!


 This little boy is the son of the guy making the bread.  He was so cute, we just had a to get a picture!

Rod described this as the wafflehouse of Shenyang.  The set up shop on the sidewalk not far from the hotel about 6:00am each morning and go until 11am. He is cooking on a flat top griddle over a propane fire.  She is rolling out the doe....what a team! This doe forms a type of pocket bread and they put an egg and a split hotdog inside and then put it in a small plastic baggie and "the regulars" come up on their electric bikes, put their 3 RMB ( 50 cents) on the cashbox (front and center) and they take their baggie and go. Fast food!

So, that's about it for now.  I'll be in France for the next 10 days, then in Japan for 2 days, then coming back here in the 29th of May...this month has literally flown by..of maybe I've flown by the month...at any rate, it's going by fast!  For those of you on FB, see on there!

Take care and keep those emails coming!

Sarah & Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment