Saturday, July 9, 2011

9 July 2011: Rod plays the US National Anthem in China!

Greetings all,
Hope you all had a great 4th of July and took a moment to thank all the soldiers past and present who helped make this great country of our what it is!!  NPR has a wonderful tradition where they read the Declaration of Independence.  If you havn't listened to it, I highly recommend it...it can really make me grateful when I listen to those words and think about the courage it must have taken to stand up and declare an independent state.  Wow!
Here's a link to an NPR station in Boston if you've never heard it:

http://www.wbur.org/npr/128242656/the-declaration-of-independence-read-aloud

We have internet radio here (Thank God!) , so I was able to tune in the next morning and get my "fix" of NPR!

Here in China, I had to work, but as many of you know, my husband, Rod has a tradition of playing the US National Anthem on the 4th of July, no matter where we live!  He and I both played it several times while we were in the National Guard band and community bands.  He played it in our front yard in St. Vallier, France, he played it on our balcony in Bucharest, Romania across from the house of Ceausescu (the fallen, then executed dictator), and  now, in front of our home/hotel here in Shenyang, China!  I got a friend of mine to video tape him playing it here with some of our friends here at the hotel!...I don't know about your computer, but mine plays it sideways...and I can't rotate it, so..it is the way it is!

In case the video didn't comeout for you, here's a picture!
Rod Miller playing the National Anthem on the tenor tuba with our friends Karen & Joe on the 4th of July in Shenyang, China

Otherwise, it's been a quiet week..busy, but quiet.  I just wanted to stay in and relax today.  I'll have to go to France for a quick trip tomorrow, so I wanted to get a few words in!
As most of you know, Rod typically has his camera with him to catch some interesting things ...here below is an example of a real tire killer!  I know some of you are thinking that working for a tire company I like this type of stuff...but trust me, I get just as frustrated when I hit a "road hazard" as anyone!
Tire killer road hazard on the street here in Shenyang

Close up of the tire killer...

Drive safely and have a great week everyone!

My sister Trish and her husband Tom are coming over later this month and we're all doing a River Cruise on the Yantzee River here in China..I can't wait to see them and explore China together!

PS..update on the fish...not so good...all the babies either got eaten or died..and 2 of the adults have jumped out of the bowl to their death...so we now have only 1 fish remaining...this could be a short-lived thing at this rate!  Oh well, the one is still interesting to watch!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment