Sunday, November 28, 2010

28 Nov 2010: Fleamarket shopping and a trip to the flower market


28 Nov 2010
Greetings all from Cold and snowy Shenyang!
Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone!  We shared a lovely Thanksgiving buffet with 2 other American couples, 2 French couples and 1 German couple...a very international day of Thanks!  We were and continue to be truly blessed!  We do have much for which to be grateful!  We hope that all of you enjoyed your time with family and friends...and that you didn't get too full!  It's kind of slim pickin's today for my update...it's turned winter here…more snow today, and cold!  Right now, outside, it's "light snow and 15F"…tomorrow the high will be 28F.  The long silk underwear I bought at LL Bean before coming here came out of the package yesterday, and it felt good!  Rod and I did manage to go to the market yesterday with some American friends…we all braved the cold and came back to the hotel and had a hot hamburger in the restaurant!  At the market today, I found a strange decorative item...it's probably the first "antique", I've bought in China.  My eye was first drawn to the shape of the basket, then to the things in it.  We thought they were some type of marshal art baton, but someone told us they were use to clean clothes in the river, then someone else told us they were used to beat out wrinkles in the sheets...neither function will they ever be used for in our house, but bought them, just as they were, basset, batons and all!

old basket and washing/ironing batons from the flea market

Chinese Bamboo/wicker basket with washing/ironing batons...cold day at the market!  You can also see the cabbage pots in the background...they were part of my 50th birthday present this year!

The other highlight of the trip was stopping at the flower market...this place was wonderful..1st floor was many cut flower shops, 2nd floor was all house plants and orchids...the smell was wonderful walking in the door!  I wish I would have had my camera, and I thought I would go back up today to get a picture, but I just couldn't pry myself out of this warm apartment...maybe next week!  Anyway, Rod bought me a unique little flower arrangement…gotta love that guy!
Sarah with the heart box of flowers from the flower market

Sarah Miller just getting in from outside Shenyang with a fresh box of roses!  What a man I'm married to!!

This week, we're going to Shanghai on Tuesday.  I have a 3 day meeting, and Rod will go to meet some friends of friends.  I doubt we'll have a lot of time to sight-see...the meeting starts on Wednesday and is over on Friday, then we'll be flying back...hopefully I'll have enough time to at least go to the pearl market one night!!

Take care everyone and enjoy all the Pre-Christmas parties and keep those emails coming!!

Sarah & Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment