Sunday, November 14, 2010

14 Nov 2010: 1st snow, a sneak preview of construction and more wierd food


14 Nov 2010
Greetings all from a dusting- of -snow- covered-Shenyang,

Yes it's cool here in Shenyang, enough for our first snow.  There is still a little bit left, but it most fell, made a mess, and is melting off now.  Sunny skies today, but still quite cold (today high will be 37 F, it's 27 outside right now)...and this is November!

Rod has had a bad cold, but despite that we got out and about a little...driving up to a fur market south west of town.  It was snowing all the while, but the driver never flenched...better him than me!  

driving in the snow..with the budda on the dashboard



Driving in the snow...notice the Budda on the dash...he's been there since day 1.  Guess it's working...no wrecks yet!

We didn't buy anything at the fur market, although there were some very nice coats and jackets..unfortunately not many in the "US Women's size"...I'm sure there's not a lot of market for large coats given the size of the average Chinese woman...very petite!  I really didn't need one anyway...I brought my winter coats from my Romania days, so I will be able to keep very warm!
 



This is a construction site of some more apartment buildings we took along the way.  The white buildings with blue trim are temporary housing for the construction workers.  I'm  not sure how much longer construction sites will be active, but I don't think it will be long!
Construction site in Shenyang in the snow

Speaking of construction sites...I normally don't speak much about my work in these emails, but I thought you might like to see that things are moving right along with our project.

Sarah Miller on the Michelin construction site in Shenyang

Project leaders on the site

Sarah Miller with the concrete being poured in the background

Some of the Shenyang team looking at the site in November 2010

Foundations being built...important to get this done before winter!
It's a lot of work, but it's so nice to actually see things happening...more than just numbers in spreadsheets and words on powerpoint slides!

While I'm out hanging around construction sites, Rod is finding more interesting things to eat...here is a selection of things I don't want to eat!

On the right, you have black eggs...not sure how these things are preserved, but I think they would probably last 1000 years in that vacuum packed container.  Next you have duck tongue..individually packed...just right for that mid morning snack..not!  Then, my favorite to the right...pick snout..vacuum packed to be just right for that special meal, and then of course we have the lone chicken foot including toenails and spurs.  I witnessed Rod giving this to the hotel maid this morning..so I can be sure (I think, unless he stuck one back) that I won't be seeing this for dinner!


One thing that is absolutely wonderful to eat are the fresh mandarin oranges...these little babies are great!  Just like miniature tangerines, no seeds, sweet as you have in the can.  These are fresh in the markets right now...I'm guessing they are grown in the South of China where it is quite tropical...couldn't be here in the frigid North!
Fresh Mandarin oranges.  The coin you see in the bottom is a 1 Yuan coin.  It's about the size of a US quarter.  I put this here so that you have something to judge the size of this little oranges...they are so tasty with a fresh sliced banana..great for desert!
Mardarin oranges

Well, that 's about it for today's note.  Tomorrow, I go to Ota, Japan for a week, then back here to Shenyang next Saturday.
Take care everyone and keep those emails coming!!



No comments:

Post a Comment