Sunday, June 11, 2017

2017 June: A Girls weekend out to Luoyang, Henan Province, China



11 June 2017

Greetings all and happy Pre-summer greetings from China. Even though it's "pre-summer", here in Shenyang, things are already hot in the day.  Getting ready to go into the rainy season of July and August.  But, before we get there, I want to share a special trip that I took with our Chinese family here.  I say "I" because this was a "girls weekend" with Daisy and her mother.  The location we visited was chosen by me for several reasons.

First of all, I heard about Luoyang in my first Chinese language course by Pimsleur and it said that this city is famous for the Peonies (the national flower of China). I would have had to go in April to see the Peonies...but from what I understand the place is wall to wall people, so not so sad I missed that time in Luoyang... a picture and a couple of silk scarves will do just fine for a souvenir of the Peonies!

Secondly, last year when Rod got a book about the different areas of China, in this area it showed some examples of Tang dynasty pottery, specifically some beautifully crafted large (some would call fat!)  ladies.  If you have been following this blog for awhile, you know I personally went through a  physical transformation from large to not so large (See May 2013: What I lost in China). 

It took me around 2 years to lose 100 pounds, and I can thankfully say, I've been able to keep most of it off (OK, Ive gained about 15 of it back, at the 4 year mark but still feeling good about being able to maintain more or less).  Anyway, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for these pottery pieces that showed that at that time big was considered beautiful, so I wanted to buy one (or two..or three..or...) to always have as a reminder that the perception of beauty changes with time...and the real beauty lies within, not with others perceptions.

Thirdly, this Luoyang is located near 2 Unesco sites (Longmen Grottos and Shaolin Temple)  and my experience is this always a good recommendation for things that are "worth the journey" to see, so I thought I could take advantage to see these while I'm there.

Rod had almost 0 interest in seeing these places (and even less interest in seeing the pottery!), so we discussed me inviting Daisy and her mother on a girls weekend out...it would be an adventure for all of us, but we figured worth the trip.  I'm so glad we did this...it really was a trip to remember and experience.  We were busy all the time, seeing and doing new things..speaking Chinese (most of the time), they were arranging transportation with Didi (equivalent of Uber in the US) and restaurants, and I was picking the places with them for going to visit...how perfect is that?

What follows are some pictures and dialog of this special journey to the Henan province of China.

Daisy, Sarah and Momma in the airport at Shenyang ready for a girls weekend out! 

Luoyang is a city of about 7 million people, in Henan province.  It is not the Province capital (that is Zhengzhou).  According to the Didi drivers, most of the income is derived from tourism (from the 2 Unesco sites I mentioned above, plus the peonies in April) and also industry and agriculture.
Around the city is the Meng mountains and here many dynasty emporers buried here.  There is a saying that the in China the best places to live are Suzhou and Hangzhou, but the best place to be buried is in the Meng Mountains.  Right now, the city of Luoyang is building a subway,  But because of all of the tombs, they have to go very deep to avoid the tombs.
Map of China showing Luoyang in Henan Province.  Shenyang (where we live) is Northeast of Beijing, just north of North Korea (not so comfortable with the shenanigans that leader is playing right now...but that's another story!)



Day 1
The first day, we took a Didi (like Uber in US) to Shaolin temple and Song Shan mountain. (About 1 hour drive on highway from Luoyang)
In Shaolin we took helicopter ride to see the mountains and temple areas from the air.  This was the  First time in Helicopter for them and first time in one in China for me. Expensive, but worth it!  Beautiful weather and seeing their joy was priceless!  We saw Shaolin temple and the Song Mountain from the air and up close hiking   Song Mountain is one of the 5 famous mountains in China.  After seeing it, I can see why...it is spectacular (and look at that blue sky and breath that fresh clean air!)   (Now only 4 more to go!)



Daisy, Momma in the backseat in the helicopter,  Sarah in the front seat beside the pilot
Made in USA...really?  The helicopter compass

Song Mountain from the helicopter

Homage to one of the buddhist martial arts type "Wushu" masters

Buddhist monk cemetery in Shaolin



Shaolin Temple and school from the helicopter

Daily, Sarah, Pilot and Momma with the helicopter in Shaolin Temple and Song Mountain


 After the thrill of the helicopter ride (great way to get the trip started!), we settled down and went on like "normal tourists"!  First stop was seeing the actual Shaolin Temple area.
Sarah's selfie with martial arts master in the background at Shaolin

Entrance to the Shaolin Temple



Energy holes in the tree where the monks practice their powers with energy and use their fingers to drill holes int he old trees...I believe it!
 
Sarah and Momma using our "powers" on the trees!


Sarah getting her "zen" on at the entrance to Shaolin temple

Sarah and Daisy touching the turtle  (the symbol of longevity for Chinese) at Shaolin

They were restoring a part of the temple and selling roof tiles...so we all bought one.  The monks painted a blessing (Good health) and our names This one is for Rodney

Sarah's Shalin temple roof tile (health and success)

Generally there are about 30000 students in the martial arts school.  We saw a special show The Temple  dates back to over 1400 years old. We saw a show with some of the students displaying their powers...pictures do not do it justice!
A very flexible young monk at Shaolin Tample

A monk with a cast iron stomach spinning around on a spear in Shaolin temple... no signs of it hurting him anywhere...amazing!


 

After this display of power,  went through a cemetery with lots of towers of tombs of monks. Max 7 layers high..higher the things accomplished on earth higher the tower. (we saw this from the air also)
Monk Stupas at Shaolin temple

Sarah at the Shaolin temple cemetery

Monk cemetery at Shaolin temple

 After this, I think Momma was a bit tired (not sure she really ever got over the helicopter ride!) so  Daisy and me took a cable car, then we hiked a part of Song mountain..tons of steps and climbing  Beautiful area, another strange mountain type. Went all the way to a bridge, turned around. (The temple we saw in the helicopter ride was closed..it looked so close...but it was another 1 hike, so we decided that was far enough!


Song mountain hiking


Beautiful majestic Song Mountain in Henan province China

Song Mountain, Henan Province, China

Song Mountain...gives an idea of the scale
Bridge across the gorge on Song Mountain

The Temple area on Song Mountain...looks so close!

Song Mountain temple
The "VIP" restaurant just before the bridge..on Song mountain...looks bad, tastes great!!

Sarah enjoying some noodles after the hike on Song mountain

Sarah on Song mountain

Sarah buying some local honey at the base of Song mountain


 
After a full day hiking, Sarah getting some more Zen in front of the bamboo forest at Song Mountain...I can't begin to tell you how difficult it was for me to cross (and then uncross) my legs at this point of the day!!  That smile could be more of a grimace if you look close enough!


Sarah playing around at Song Shan mountain
Day 2
On day two, we decided to stay a bit closer to Luoyang and go to the Longmen grottos.  This is another Unesco site where thousands of buddahs are carved into stone on the bank of a river.  These
These grottos have been here for 1400 years!

 
Thousands of Niches are carved into stone for a buddah.  Many buddas have been stolen or destroyed over the years, but many are still remaining at the Longmen Grottos of Luoyang


Another zen picture of Sarah on the lily pad...the day after the Song Mountain hike...not so easy to cross legs here either!

Up on top with the big buddah grotto.  Momma, Sarah and Daisy together with the Buddahs

Sarah and Daisy up with the Buddas at Longmen Grottos in Luoyang

The Longmen grottos seen from the river side perspective

Longmen Grottos seen from Riverside in Luoyang, China, Henan Province

At the gift shop of the Longmen Grottos, I got my first view of the fat ladies...didn't buy any here..didn't want to pack them around, but sat down beside them!


 After the grottos, we decided we would go into the city of Luoyang and check out the palaces of the empress.  All of this is rebuilt according to the drawings and actual foundation of the original palaces.  
Tang Dynasty Palace at Luoyang

Queen for a few minutes at Luoyang.  I have to say I really did feel like a queen in his palace.  For my work here in China, at the beginning, I was project manager to build the plant.  The code name for this project was "Phoenix", which is the symbol for the empress.  In the days of the dynasties, no one but the empress was allowed to wear yellow or have any symbols of the Phoenix around...now all of that is gone...except for today, for me in this dress, in this throne room...I was indeed empress for a few minutes!

Empress Sarah for a mew minues

Empress Sarah on the royal throne with the Phoenix symbol behind her...ahhh!  Does a girl good to dress up like this I can tell you!
 The rest of the palace is a museum and buddist temple area now.  I took one close up of another fat lady..
Sarah with a Fat lady pottery at the Palace in Luoyang.  These pottery pieces were originally meant for tombs...but mine will go home with me and eventually adorn my garden...and maybe who knows end up in my grave...no thoughts about that now!

After being queen for a day, we decided to go to the old street and go shopping (I told you I crammed in every possible thing I could do during this trip!).  This was my chance to get the fat ladies and the Didi driver told us exactly where to go.  
Old town Luoyang,  on a mission to find the fat ladies!

Found them, bought some...then had them shipped back to Shenyang...in honor of all large women...there was a time when we were considered beautiful...just the way we are!


After this day at the Grottos and being queen for a few minutes, and shopping, we decided to see a show (if you are in China near a Unesco site, be sure to see if there is a show...if so, I can guarantee you it will be a big spectacle, worth the visit!  In Luoyang, this is a new show this year and the story tells the story of one of the Tang Dynasty empresses of China.  Even with translation, I didn't get the full meaning...but it doesn't matter..the special effects, lighting and dancing do not need translation!
The "stage" of the outdoor theater in Luoyang..those little things in front are people!  These are VIP seats...if you get too close, you cannot see the entire stage!

Daisy with a panorama shot at the Luoyang spectacle show!

Sarah with the Luoyang show in the background




Day 3
Going to Lon tan da Xia gu. (Lontan Gorge) About 1.5 hour drive. This is not a Unesco site, but it was on the "recommended areas" of the Holiday Inn express, so we thought it would be worth the drive.  We Got the didi driver to take us, (the same one that took us to Shaolin) and he waited all day then brought us back. What a deal!  This place was really beautiful..only problem was that every one else evidently thought so too!  


Beautiful China at Lontan da Xia gu

Longtan Gorge and waterfll


Lontan Gorge in Henan Province, China

Beautiful China
Big rocks in Lontan Xia Gu, Henan Province China


No, I didn't cross the gorge...but only because we didn't have time!

This was dragon boat day in China, so i ate the traditional sticky rice.  Normally, this is wrapped in a lotus leaf, but this was packed in Bamboo and steamed on a stick...after walking around all day in the gorge, I thought it would be good..and it was! (I may have lived here too long...pretty sure I would have have said that 7 years ago!)

Daily, Momma and Sarah at Lontan Gorge in Henan Province China

Some of the paths have been adjusted over time by rock slides...after hiking for 2 days prior to this, getting down to duck walk through this area was a challenge on the old knees!  But I did it!

Many different types  of rocks and evidence of time under water here in this area at Lontan Gorge

Cool, calm Lontan Gorge

Lontan Gorge, standing under the waterfall...so peaceful

The lovers waterfall (2 waterfalls merging into 1) at Lontan Gorge

So, with that, we concluded our journey into the beauty of Henan province on our girls long weekend out.  We took the highspeed train to Zhengxhou, then took the plane back to Shenyang.  I'm sure I will never forget this beautiful journey.  I ask God to bless Daisy and her mother and thank them so much for helping me.  I would not have been able to do this without them...and they would not have been able to do it without me.  What a great combo!



Until next time!

Rod and Sarah Miller
Expats in China

I wish you peace..



Sarah with one last Zen...on a bench at Shaolin temple, Henan Province, China

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog Sarah, my "Princess"... Glad you were able to go... I have enjoyed the pictures and stories but missed you all the same... I will attempt to keep the five "Fat Ladies" dusted!!! Keep up the good travel logs... Aloha, Rod Miller (Prince)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...Sarah, so much fun!!! Such a great opportunity to do this adventure with your Chinese family. Daisy and Momma loved every minute I am sure. When the day ever comes that you have to leave China...oh I can't imagine... I LOVE LOVE the pics you as the Pheonix Queen. How wonderful!!! Thank you so much for sharing your adventure and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete