Sunday, February 2, 2014

2014: Blog update 2: for Dec 2013/Jan 2014...a Much needed trip to the USA

So, as mentioned, in a previous entry, I'm trying to catch up on end of 2013 and beginning of 2014...yes, I realize it's already Feb 2014 as I type this..so yes, I'm late...but, in the grand scheme of things, it's just not that big a deal!  If it is to you, then, well, sorry, but I challenge you to keep up a blog for 4+ years!!  Ok, I'm off my 'holier than thou' box!

2013 was a very busy year for us..we started off the year with a very nice vacation in New Zealand and Australia (my that seems so long ago now!), then I think I worked straight through getting the plant started up until October when we took a break and went to Taiwan, and then continued to work straight until the end of the year when we went home to the US and saw some of our friends and families in Florida, Kentucky, Ohio.  While the time was way too short, we did have a wonderful time.  Sadly, even as I type this there is at least 1 I know of who has already passed on...little did we know at the time it would be the last time we saw him.  Of course, then again, we never have certainty of that do we?  I won't share all of these personal family photos as most of you have joined this blog to see China and other parts of the world to where we are blessed to travel..so I'll dedicate this blog to Hawaii!  I realize that as I type this is a balmy 28F outside here in Shenyang..that is to say it has warmed up some (and from what I see on the news, many of you reading this blog have also been blasted with some polar vortex weather this winter...so as you read this, let your imagination take over and join me in Hawaii in your mind!

This is the 2nd time we have visited Hawaii..the last time, we went we stayed in Honolulu on the island of Ohua.  This time, we visited the big island of Hawaii (the 'youngest' of the islands with the active volcano) and also the 'oldest' island of Kauai, then ended up at Honolulu again before leaving.  All are beautiful...all very different.

Here are a few of the photos from our Hawaii New Year 2014...a nice way to bring in the New Year!

First off the Big Island Hawaii!  It's a beautiful island...very slow paced and nothing like Ohau.    The big reason I wanted to go to Hawaii was to see the volcano doing it's thing...watching lava going into the sea, taking a helicopter over the red-hot crater...all the things most of us have seen on TV...well, as timing would have it, the volcano lava flow has moved and it's not going to the sea, and there was a storm that cancelled the helicopter trip over the crater...so, our plans had to change!  It all turned out for the best, Rod and I spent some lovely time relaxing around the pools, taking a submarine ride in the bay  and bicycling around Kona (the home of the ironman competition!).   We both ran some, biked some and swam some while on the island of Hawaii...but that's probably as close as we will ever come to the Ironman competition there!   We  brought in the New Year 2014 in Kona...very nice!
The waves crashing up against the old (100 yr +) lava in Hawaii

Sarah's in the garden by the sea!

Some trees will grow in anything!

Lava..up close and personal!

The 'beaches' in Hawaii are a combination of sand and lava fields...really have to watch out when swimming...that is some sharp rock!  Sunset's are beautiful anywhere, but especially so in Hawaii!


The resort where we stayed...a beautiful garden overlooking the ocean...my kind of place!

Another view of the ocean from the garden
A Sarah and Rod 'selfie' in Kona, Hawaii!
Rod amid the azaleas on New Years day 2014 in Kona, Hawaii

Rod and Sarah hanging around Kona, Hawaii
After Kona, we went up to Kauai..the oldest of the Hawaiian islands.  We havn't visited them all (8) ...yet...but of all the ones I have seen so far, my favorite is Kauai.  It is the tropical island that comes to my mind now when I think tropical paradise!
We started out there going taking a helicopter flight over the island...this was beautiful..just breath-taking!  The pictures below do not do it justice!


Sarah and Rod in the helicopter getting ready to fly over Kauai

Kauai from the top

Kauai, Hawaii

Kauai Waimea canyon

Kauai around the Waimea canyon

the Napali coast of Kauai

Kauai coast

Kauai coast




Napali coast of Kauai

Kauai, Hawaii

Rod and Sarah just back from the Helicopter flight over Kauai

Rod and Sarah on the 'beach' at Kauai

Lava beach with crashing waves in Kauai

Sunrise in Kauai

Sunrise in Kauai on the beach

After the 2 short, but lovely days in Kauai, we headed back to Ohau and Honolulu where we would fly from.  In Honolulu, we decided to stay at an old iconic resort the "Royal Hawaiian"..and what a treat it was!
When we arrived, they adorned me with a Lei (you know I loved that!)

The Royal Hawaiian hotel in Honolulu

The veranda overlooking the garden at the Royal Hawaiian

Sarah and Rod at the patio restaurant at the Royal Hawiian

Catching a show of some Samoan dancers at the "mall"

Honolulu from the airplane window...too soon to leave!
So, that was our Hawaiian 2014 New Year adventure..it was a lovely vacation and is calling us back...soon!  For now, back to reality...

Aloha!
Rod and Sarah





No comments:

Post a Comment