Friday, September 16, 2011

16 Sep 2011: Playing music in the park and Mid autumn festival with our Chinese family

Greetings all again (I'm on a roll here!)

This was a 4 day week after a 3 day weekend for Mid autumn festival.  Rod and I both went playing music in the park...it's been probably 15 years since I played a horn, so I was certainly not ready for prime time...but you gotta start somewhere, so why not here.  It all started when we went looking on music street and I tried out a Chinese hammered dulcimer.  The problem was it wasn't tuned or strung the same way as mine in the US (in storage), so I didn't buy one.  Rod had found a used baritone in a market, so he bought it.  It was in the same key as Rod's baritone, so he thought we could play together...and we did ...but boy, was my lip not ready for that!  The fingerings are the same as a trumpet (which is what I played for years).  It was fun to just play around and play together though!
Rod & Sarah Miller playing the baritones in the Zhongshan park in Shenyang

Rod Miller playing his tenor tuba in Zhongshan park in Shenyang


The big highlight of the weekend was a lunch with our Chinese family.  We went to a nice traditional restaurant.  We exchanged moon cakes and they gave us one of the biggest moon cakes in the world!
I'm thinking we're going to keep it and let it get good and hard..then maybe whirl it like a frisbee...at least once!
The biggest moon cake in the world...with a Phoenix bird and a Dragon on the cake!

Our Chinese family with us celebrating Mid Autumn festival in 2011

Rod & Sarah celebrating Mid Autumn festival

Sweet & Sour fish...with cherry tomato eyes...actually pretty good!

That's about it for now!

Sarah & Rod
 

No comments:

Post a Comment