Saturday, October 9, 2010

9 October 2010: East and West all in one trip!


9 Oct 2010
Greetings all,
I write to you today from Clermont-Ferrand, France, but still talking about China and a little view of France!  As many of you know, I'm in the middle of a long business trip (2 weeks in France, 1 week split between Canada and US (SC)).  I brought my personal computer with me, so I have my address book etc.  As many of you know, I've been happy to get on Facebook!
Last week before I left, Rod and I went out to the construction site where the new plant will be built.  Here's a photo of me at the entrance to the industrial zone where the plant will be built.  That is the Phoenix bird circling the sun.
Sarah Miller at the entrance to the Industrial zone where the new plant for Michelin is being built

Sarah Miller standing in front of the construction site entrance to the new plant in Oct 2010

Sarah Miller standing small in front of the billboard advertising the arrival of Michelin



Sarah standing in front of the entrance to the new industrial zone for Shenyang.

On this same day, Rod and I went to a market and Rod found a musical instrument that needed help...so he bought it.  It's tuned like a violin, but the frets make the scales not the same...so it's another challenge.  I have no doubts that Rod will master that one!
Rod and the Pi-Pang


This instrument is called a Pi Pa (I think I've got that right!). You can take the boy out of the music...but you can't take the musician out of the boy!

As I left Shenyang, bound for Paris, I found out the hard way that the travel agent had changed my itinerary (without my knowledge) and I missed my flight from Beijing to Paris.  So I had to spend the night in Beijing.  It would have been fine if I had planned it and Rod was there..but helas, I was there alone with hotel rooms at a premium since it was in the middle of the Chinese National day holiday (this is another 3 day event!).  Anyway, I got a room not too far from the airport and it happened to be at the site of the 2008 Olympic village!  The place is huge!  As usual, another zillion people walking around the venue.  I didn't walk around too much, but enough to get a couple of good pictures.
The Olympic Torch tower in Beijing, China

The "Bird Nest" stadium in Beijing

Flowers at the Olympic stadium in Beijing


I eventually got here in Clermont OK, albeit a day late, but I recovered!   After a very busy week, I had visions of sleeping in today, but jet lag thought differently!  So, this morning, I got up early and saw the sunrise.  I grabbed my camera and captured the sunlight hitting the ancient volcanos around Clermont and some church spires.

Clermont-Ferrand, France at sunrise. View from the "Hotel des Puis"
Clermont-Ferrand, France at sunrise.  View from the “Hotel des puis”

That's about it for this update...a mix of East and West!

Take care and thanks for keeping those emails coming!

Sarah & Rod

30 Oct 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment